It seems that the UK government has completed a report after the NW253 incident, and I’m afraid if you’re a traveller, here’s a hint – it’s going to get worse.
- A No Fly list is to be set up (well we’re only a few years behind eh?), including deep screening, and no entry into the United Kingdom at departure countries
- New Intelligence teams to identify individuals who could be terrorists (Government intelligence? Oxymoron there. Moving on)
- More information sharing – in other words, yes your data about your travels will be mingled more than it is at the moment.
- A Harder push for e-Borders to implemented at all UK entry points (which is currently under investigation by the European Union for interfering with the rules of Freedom of Movement).
- Direct flights between Yemen and the United Kingdom are suspended until further notice (which kiboshes Yemina’s services) due to security fears and concerns over safety are addressed.
- Nude-o-Scopes (Millimetre Wave Scanners/Full body scanners) to be introduced next week at UK Airports.
There have been calls for both deeper internal investigations to possible people in the UK, and the safeguarding of civil liberties.
In other words, expect some liberties to be whittled away in the name of security theatre (Let us remember that MMW scanners would probably not have picked up the bomb), and remember to leave plenty of time to get to the airport and get through security.
Just makes you want to pack your bags and fly off into the sunset eh?